(08apr17) The most recent shows are in the player at the bottom of this page. This Is Hell streams live from 89.3 WNUR Evanston at 9am until 1pm Central Saturday.
08apr17 This Is Hell
- 9:15 - Writer Laurie Penny traces the Brexit shock to a long, drab decade of austerity culture in the UK.Laurie wrote the article Brexit, Pursued by Despair for The Baffler.
- 10:00 - Live from São Paulo, Brian Mier reports on the wave of strikes against neoliberal cuts in Brazil.Brian published the piece “There is no negotiation whatsoever”: Union leader Douglas Izzo talks about labor rights in post-coup Brazil for Brasil Wire.
- 10:35 - The Radical Pessimist, Kevan Harris explores the myth of the bootstrapping European immigrant.Kevan's first book A Social Revolution: Politics and the Welfare State in Iran is out this August. Proud of our boy.
- 11:05 - Sociologist Thomas Shapiro explains how racial wealth inequality threatens democracy in America.Thomas is author of Toxic Inequality: How America's Wealth Gap Destroys Mobility, Deepens the Racial Divide, and Threatens Our Future from Basic Books.
- 12:05 - Writer Thomas Frank explains how the Democratic Party stopped working for American workers.Thomas will be talking about the new, post-election edition of his still right book Listen Liberal: Or, Whatever Happened to the Party of the People? from Picador.
- 12:45 - In a Moment of Truth, Jeff Dorchen wonders if he's actually a Randian at heart.Objectively.
25mar17 This Is Hell
- 9:15 - Security analyst Elizabeth Grimm Arsenault traces the roots of America's new torture norms to pre-9/11 conservatism.Elizabeth is author of How the Gloves Came Off: Lawyers, Policy Makers, and Norms in the Debate on Torture from Columbia University Press.
- 10:00 - Development researcher Rebecca Reeve explains how the garment industry packages exploitation as empowerment.Rebecca wrote the article PR, profit and ‘empowering women’ in the garment industry for openDemocracy.
- 10:35 - Journalist Michelle Chen previews the impact of Trump policy plans on US childcare and public health.Michelle wrote the articles Trump’s Childcare Plan Will Only Help the Rich and Trump’s Obsession With Cutting Regulations Will Make America Sick for The Nation.
- 11:05 - Writer Jessa Crispin explains why feminism has lost its radical promise - and how to recapture it.Jessa wrote the book Why I Am Not a Feminist: A Feminist Manifesto from Melville House.
- 12:05 - Political scientist Maya Rockeymoore examines the coming labor impact of autonomous vehicles.Maya is co-author of the report Stick Shift: Autonomous Vehicles, Driving Jobs, and the Future of Work from the Center for Global Policy Solutions.
- 12:45 - Dans un moment de vérité, Jeff Dorchen puts the "ris" in Paris.Ris means laughters. I looked it up. I didn't just know that.
More Program summaries are in the archives.
INDYRADIO The future of radio belongs to us. The newest playlists are linked at http://rd0.org