(15jul17) The most recent shows are in the player at the bottom of this page. This Is Hell streams live from 89.3 WNUR Evanston at 9am until 1pm Central Saturday. The full 4 hours of today's show is now streaming at http://rd0.org - the first hour is already in the player at the bottom of this page.
15jul17 This Is Hell
- 9:15 - Journalist Jesse Eisinger examines the political consequences of business executive impunity.Jesse is author of the new book The Chickenshit Club: Why the Justice Department Fails to Prosecute Executives from Simon & Schuster.
- 10:05 - Valerie Vande Panne explores the time banks and informal economies of post-crash Detroit.Valerie wrote the article Detroit’s Underground Economy:Where Capitalism Fails, Alternatives Take Root? for In These Times.
- 10:35 - Live from São Paulo, Brian Mier reports on the trial of former Brazil president Lula da Silva.Brian will also report on squatting and striking in São Paulo, and the short doc he made covering organizing there this Spring.
- 11:05 - Writer Michael Deibert examines the quakes in Haiti's political and economic history.Michael is author of the new book Haiti Will Not Perish: A Recent History from Zed Books
- 12:05 - Julianne Tveten and Paul Blest explore the dark side of Silicon Valley's libertarian UBI business plan.Julianne and Paul wrote the article Silicon Valley Will Not Save You for Current Affairs.
- 12:45 - In a Moment of Truth, Jeff Dorchen gets inapropriate about cultural appropriation.Part of his ongoing series getting us yelled at online, I guess.
08jul17 This Is Hell
- 9:15 - Journalist David Daley explores the GOP plan to ratfuck the vote and rule from the minority, forever.David returns to This Is Hell! to talk about his book Ratfucked: Why Your Vote Doesn't Count, now in paperback with a new afterward, from Norton.
- 10:00 - Live from San Salvador, Hilary Goodfriend follows USAID money to corporate ends in El Salvador.Hilary wrote the article USAID's Trojan Horse that appeared originally at Solidarity, and now at Jacobin.
- 10:35 - Journalist Michelle Chen examines neoliberalism's assault on public housing, at Grenfell and beyond.Michelle wrote the The Economic System That Made the Grenfell Tragedy Possible and No, Seattle’s $15 Minimum Wage Is Not Hurting Workers for The Nation.
- 11:05 - Middle East scholar Wendy Pearlman discusses the Syrian war, from the testimonies of Syrian refugees.Wendy is author of the new book We Crossed a Bridge and It Trembled: Voices from Syria from HarperCollins.
- 12:05 - Writer Julian Brave NoiseCat explains how pipeline politics threaten not only native lands, but indigenous sovereignty.Julian wrote the commentary Law Enforcement is Still Used as a Colonial Tool In Indian Country for the Marshall Project and the Guardian opinion piece Indigenous sovereignty is on the rise. Can it shape the course of history?
- 12:45 - In a Moment of Truth, Jeff Dorchen post-mortems last week's Dykes [HIS WORDS] v Kikes [HIS WORDS] piece.Two of those words are HIS WORDS just to repeat. Not Alex's words. Not Chuck's words. Jeff's words.
01jul17 This Is Hell
- 9:15 - Writer Angela Nagle explores the intersection of online extremism and IRL politics.Angela is author of Kill All Normies: Online culture wars from 4chan and Tumblr to Trump and the alt-right from Zero Books.
- 10:00 - Azeezah Kanji and S. K. Hussan explain why liberal opposition to Islamophobia backfires.Azeezah and S.K. wrote the article The Problem with Liberal Opposition to Islamophobia for ROAR Magazine.
- 10:35 - Journalist Steve Horn reports on carbon's political footprint in the Trump era.Steve wrote the recent articles Fracked Gas LNG Exports Were Centerpiece In Promotion of Panama Canal Expansion, Documents Reveal and Tillerson Present as Exxon Signed Major Deal with Saudi Arabia During Trump Visit for DeSmog Blog.
- 11:05 - Laura Erickson-Schroth and Laura A. Jacobs explore the origin and persistence of gender myths.Laura and Laura wrote the book “You're in the Wrong Bathroom!” And 20 Other Myths and Misconceptions About Transgender and Gender Nonconforming People for Beacon Press.
- 12:05 - Journalist Will Parrish reports on government-corporate surveillance of pipeline protests.Will co-wrote the giant, 5-part series on DAPL surveillance and policing, TigerSwan Tactics for The Intercept.
- 12:45 - In a Moment of Truth, Jeff Dorchen Jewsplains the Dyke March fiasco in a radically inclusive way.Almost all of those words in that tease are Jeffy's and I just copy/pasted them, please don't @ me.
24jun17 This Is Hell
- 9:15 - Political economist Massimo de Angelis maps out the common course for a post-capitalist society.Massimo is author of Omnia Sunt Communia: On the Commons and the Transformation to Postcapitalism from Zed Books.
- 10:00 - McMansion Hell's Kate Wagner explores the nightmare architecture of the upwardly mobile.Kate is the mastermind behind the indispensable website McMansion Hell.
- 10:35 - Black Lives Matter Chicago's Aislinn Pulley and Kofi Ademola discuss fighting the CPD in court.Black Lives Matter Chicago is part of a class action lawsuit against the City of Chicago and the CPD over police violence.
- 11:05 - Law professor James Forman examines Black involvement throughout the mass incarceration machine.James is author of Locking Up Our Own: Crime and Punishment in Black America from Farrar, Straus & Giroux.
- 12:05 - Live from Paris, Jacob Hamburger surveys the French political landscape, post-Macron victory.Jacob writes about American politics for Charlie Hebdo.
- 12:45 - In a Moment of Truth, Jeff Dorchen laments the end of an ancient Chinese tradition.
More Program summaries are in the archives.
INDYRADIO The future of radio belongs to us. The newest playlists are linked at http://rd0.org